Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fruit Fly trap

I've been struggling to get rid of a small swarm of fruit flies which has taken up residence in my kitchen and finally had some luck when I found instructions for a vinegar trap. 

You'll need:

A cup
Apple cider vinegar
(I only had white and balsamic)
Waxed paper
1 rubber band


The website I read suggested filling a cup with Apple cider vinegar, cutting the corner off of a ziplock, and rubber banding the bag around the cup. Here is the site:

http://insects.about.com/od/insectssociety/qt/Make-A-Vinegar-Trap-For-Fruit-Flies.htm

I don't have apple cider vinegar and I'm not going to the store to buy bait for the flies which are very happy with what I already have in my kitchen. SO. I cut a few small pieces of cantaloupe and put them in a glass with some white vinegar. I used a rubber band to secure a piece of waxed paper over the top of the glass and then poked a hole in it. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!  Death to the invaders! (insert maniacal laughter here)




Suckers



No comments:

Post a Comment